All My Pics

Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Rare Occurance

I decided, after an hour or so of crying over normal teen crap, to go exploring in the nearby woods. That is really the only thing that truly makes me feel pure inside - and even then, life's worries and anxieties butt their way into my calm-down time.

Anyhoo, I coasted my bike down to the boat ramp by my lake, where there are woods surrounding the gravel clearing on either side. I inwardly wondered if my hair was getting any blonder or if my face was getting a nice tan (you would think in Florida that you could get a tan by just going out to get the mail - however, it's unusually hard. It's as if my skin has an immunity toward sunlight because of its abundance where I live).

Arriving at the boat ramp, of course, it escapes my train of thought that I should grab my phone out of the bike seat. I was really going to regret this later.

So I'm still just trudging through the vines and branches and palm leaves and who-knows-what-else, when I begin to think about something that happened this morning. I recalled that an otter darted out from the woods and into the street just as we were driving by. Unfortunately, I only knew this happened because of a loud "LOOK!" from the drivers seat (oh, mom XD). I was beginning to feel disappointed because I had missed the sight.

As if going by the rule of "ask and you shall receive", some small mammal comes plodding through the grass. I thought it might be a squirrel at first, but as it trotted closer I could see it was much larger and darker brow. I began to back away out of fear that it might be a beaver (those things are scary with their giant buck teeth!). However, that was a wrong guess too - closer and closer still it came, its spine rolling in waves as it galumphed toward me.

Lo and behold, there was an otter. It did not run away, nor did it seem to scared at all. I stood there, turned my head, and looked at it out of the corner of my eye (didn't want to intimidate it). Never had I been so close to something like this before outside of a zoo - it had to be about a maximum of 10 feet away from me. So close, in fact, I could make out the exact color of its eyes, which you could say was a dark hazel. And throughout all this thinking of mine, it remained in my presence. It suddenly rose up onto its haunches and pulled its front legs up to it's chest.

We regarded each other for a moment. There, just then, we made direct eye contact, the otter and I. He seemed bolder than most, as if I radiated a disposition of harmlessness.

To keep it standing there, as to not frighten it, I sat down, thinking that would make me seem like less of a predator. Evidently, the fact that I moved at all is what scared the darling away. Smart me.

And this, my friends, is why I am a total doofus for leaving my phone in my bike pocket. Ugh! (smacks forehead XD).

~sleepinl8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Comment. Don't like it? Comment anyway.