All My Pics

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Last minute Mother's Day gift: Mission sucessful (enough)

After waiting for so long to go out and get a mother's day gift, I finally did it! Whew, it was a close call.

So, she has really been looking for an heirloom rose since almost a year ago. I finally resolved to get one for her, selecting Mother's Day as my day to present it to her. Only, I didn't get an heirloom rose. I can't believe that after all that time I spent thinking about when and where I was going to get her this, and, bing-ba-da-boom, I'm coming home with bougainvillea.

So I went to Home Depot just a little while ago and asked a clerk if they sold any. Just my luck, the answer was no. There wasn't any time to go shopping somewhere else in search of one, so I was stuck with shopping for some other plant out of the enormous, overwhelming assortment of perennials, annuals, indoor plants and the like.

Mind you, I had no clue what an heirloom rose looked like, so I was pretty much at a loss. I, being a perfectionist about certain things (ie. special occasions), wasn't at all pleased by the idea of getting something I had not planned on getting. We all have our foibles, right? Nevertheless, I had five minutes to find something I didn't know I would have to look for. I suddenly remembered that my phone had internet access, and hastily used that to look up "heirloom rose" on Google images (in spite of the fact that it costs us about a buck per megabyte of data processed - happy Mother's Day, mom! Oh, here's a little gift from Verizon...). So, I looked it up, and you know what? They looked absolutely no different than regular roses! And so I thought to myself, "well, if that's all it is, I'm opting for something more original."

And so I did - with lil' sis tagging along behind me, pulling her own weight (and one third, if you count the sizable bougainvillea trellis she was carrying), we each brought a trellis of bougainvillea out to the car. We actually did see my mother, but she was oblivious, just getting herself a diet coke.

So I was pretty sure this was going to be a success story until, whataya know, my sister starts telling this story about how we walked up to the cashier "with some flowers". That part blew it, but I can guarantee you that I probably would have done the same if I had been the one telling the story. (Not so) great minds think alike, eh?

So now they're sitting out in the garage, awaiting the arrival of our lady-of-the-day (which is to come tomorrow [duh]). That's all for now!

~sleepinl8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Comment. Don't like it? Comment anyway.